1. IWBAT assess my teammates' Hunger Games advertisement projects.
2. IWBAT select the conclusion that best summarizes the content of a paragraph and report (and engages the reader).
1. Do Now:
- Get your Hunger Games advertisement project materials ready.
- You also need your homework paper from Monday (with the rubric on the front).
- Make sure you have identified which persuasive writing technique you used in your advertisement project (on the homework sheet) and described how.
- Read silently when you are done.
2. Hunger Games Advertisement Project Presentations:
- Each student will present his/her project to the class.
- You will assess each of your teammates' projects with:
- an O/S/U rating
- one piece of positive feedback
- one piece of constructive (critical) feedback
3. Review how to select the best conclusion for a text:
- Read the text.
- Determine the main idea of each paragraph.
- Then, determine the main idea of the entire report.
- Select the best conclusion (or concluding statement) to wrap up the entire report or paragraph.
- The conclusion must SUMMARIZE.
- The conclusion must also flow with what comes right before it.
- The conclusion should (and usually does) engage the reader--or give the reader something to do or to remember
Finally, check your work by adding this conclusion to the end of the report and rereading the conclusion in context to make sure it sounds right and makes sense.
4. Read a report called "Before You Choose a Pet."
5. Add Concluding Statements: Answer four questions about "Before You Choose a Pet" to select the best concluding statement of a paragraph: Socrative.
6. Read a report called "Marathons."
7. Add Concluding Statements: Answer four questions about "Marathons" to select the best concluding statement of a paragraph: continue your practice on Socrative (same activity).
Homework: Conclusions of Reports (due Monday)