Friday, May 31, 2013

Draft Bayview Seedfolks Narrative

Aims:
1. IWBAT plan how I will show, not tell, the character traits of my community leader.
2. IWBAT draft my Bayview Seedfolks narrative, from the perspective of my community leader.


Tasks:
1. Do Now: Identify Parts of Speech (seventh grade standard):

2. Plan how you will show, not tell, the traits of your character

3. Drafting your narrative (find the document in the Writing Portfolio in your Google Drive):
  • write in first-person, from the perspective of the community leader you selected
  • make your character seem as real as possible -- in what he/she says and does
  • use quotation marks when characters directly speak to one another
    • remember, only one character can speak per paragraph, so if a different character responds to what someone said, you should begin a new paragraph
  • write about 1-2 typed pages
  • make sure your story covers your homeroom's common ground and is interesting 

Need help getting started? Begin your narrative with one of these hooks:
  • SETTING: Give your reader some sense of time or place in which your story takes place. An easy way to begin is to use the words, “It was...” (but we don’t always have to do this)
    • example: It was an especially cold and foggy morning in San Francisco.
    • example: The sun had just set on October 31st, Halloween day. 
  • CONVERSATION: Begin with someone talking (direct dialogue) or some kind of other noise/sound.
    • example: “David, you’re going to be late for school!”
    • example: “I can’t believe it’s already time to get up,” I grumbled to myself that morning. 
    • example: Beep! Beep! Beep! I reached over and hit the alarm clock. It read 6:30 AM--time to get ready for school.
  • HIGH ACTION: Begin with suspense, an exciting event, or something that will surprise your reader.
    • example: When my mom drug me out of bed, I thought it would be just a normal school day. Man, was I wrong!
    • example: I was awakened by smoke filling the room. A white haze clouded my vision, and I started coughing uncontrollably.


Homework: Finish Rough Draft of Narrative (must be done by Monday morning)


No comments:

Post a Comment