Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Name Vignette

Aim:
IWBAT revise my name vignette by adding figurative langauge.
  • Format: vignette (a short, personal scene)
  • Audience: my teammates
  • Role: myself
  • Topic: all about my name (what it means, the history, whether it fits me, etc.)
Tasks:
1. Do Now: Capitalization Rule #5

2. Read Chapter 7 in Becoming Naomi Leon

3. Share Your Vignette with Mr. T:
  1. In the upper left corner of your document, click Share.
  2. Next to People at kippbayarea.org who have the link can view, click Change.
  3. Next to Access: Anyone within kippbayarea.org, click Can view and select Can comment from the dropdown menu. Click Save.
  4. When the link to share is highlighted, press Ctrl + C to copy the link.
  5. Complete the form below, and use Ctrl + V to paste the link. 


4. Review: Similes & Metaphors
  • simile: a comparison of two unlike things using like or as
  • metaphor: a direct comparison of two unlike things (without using like or as)
  • hyperbole: an exaggeration
  • personification: giving a nonliving thing person-like traits, actions, or qualities

5. Practice: Identify Figurative Language from Becoming Naomi Leon
    answer options include: simile, metaphor, hyperbole, personification


6. Revise: Adding Figurative Language to My Draft
  • Revising literally means seeing again. 
    • When we revise, we improve big-picture things in our writing, like our ideas and the way they connect to one another.
    • We don't worry about the nitty-gritty details like capital letters and punctuation (that is editing).
  • Today, we will revise specifically for figurative language: adding similes, metaphors, hyperboles, and/or personification to your writing
    • mild:  add one simile or one metaphor to your writing
    • medium:  add one simile and one metaphor to your writing
    • spicy!  add one simile, one metaphor, and one hyperbole or example of personification

7. Edit Letter for CUPS (Capitalization/Usage/Punctuation/Spelling): Check to make sure...
  • FORMAT MATTERS.
    • I have formatted my writing as a vignette.
    • I have written in complete sentences.
    • I have indented all paragraphs with the TAB key.
    • There is a space after each period, comma, and question mark.
  • CAPITALIZATION COUNTS.
    • I have capitalized the first word of each sentence.
    • I have capitalized the word I every time.
    • I have capitalized all proper nouns: specific people, places, things, and dates.
  • SPELL WELL.
    • I have used the correct forms of there/their/they're, your/you're, and to/two/too.
    • I have correctly spelled my name.
    • There are no other word (besides my name) with a red squiggly line underneath.
  • PUNCTUATE CORRECTLY.
    • I have used end punctuation correctly, meaning all sentences end in . / ! / ?

8. Complete Exit Slip: 




Homework: Capitalization Review

No comments:

Post a Comment