1. IWBAT explain why reading is important.
2. IWBAT explain how the brain develops in order to allow us to read.
1. Read The Lightning Thief:
- Chapter 20: "I battle my jerk relative" -- pp. 320-333
- audiobook: Part 8 -- 37:22 to 1:00:08 (about 23 minutes)
2. Quill.org: complete lessons due this week, from May 27th through May 30th
3. Additional Project Presentations: evaluate your teammates' presentations here
4. Explain Why Reading Is Important: view classwork here
- Mr. T's Scoop:
- Students who read 40 minutes a day, regardless of their reading level, make much higher gains in reading growth than students who only read 15 minutes a day.
- On average, students who achieved in the 98th percentile in reading ability read about 4.5 million words in a school year, whereas students in the 10th percentile read only 8,000 words.
- To be an expert in something, you need to do it well for at least 10,000 hours. If students are practicing reading just over two hours a day, 365 days a year, for 13 years, they will reach mastery--which would be just in time for college.
5. The Videos & Articles:
- A: Justin Tuck explains the value of reading: click here
- B: Keke Palmer explains the value of reading: click here
- C: Will Smith explains the two keys to life: click here
- D: article: "Why Reading is the Most Important Thing You Will Ever Do": click here
- E: video(s): "Why Reading Matters": click here for part 1 and click here for part 2
- F: article: "If They Don't Read Much, How They Ever Gonna Get Good?": click here
6. Exit Slip
Homework: MAP Passage Practice