Monday, June 9, 2014

Portait Poems

Aims:
IWBAT compose portrait poems ("I Am," "Where I'm From," acrostic poems, etc.).


When we write portrait poems, we write about ourselves.
To write excellent portrait poems, we must thoughtfully reflect.

Tasks:
1. Quill: complete lessons due this week, from June 2nd to June 6th

2. Reflecting on Your Sixth Grade Year: Complete form here

3. Homework Check"My Father's Love Letters" by Yusef Komunyakaa
                    

4. Share "Where I'm From" Poems


5. Write Portrait Poems

  • B: "Where I'm From" poem
    • Revise or rewrite your "Where I'm From" poem in Google Drive (from September!)
      • Search "Where I'm From" in your Drive.
      • Read over your work. Change it to improve your ideas, or start all over.
    • Want help or examples? Click here for directions, ideas, and templates.
    • View more examples (and directions) here.
    • Template for writing a new poem (copy and paste to a new document to use):
      • I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.
      • I am from the _______ (home description... adjective, adjective, sensory detail).
      • I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)
      • I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).
      • I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).
      • From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).
      • I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.
      • I'm from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing your family).
      • From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).
      • I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines indicating their worth).

  • C: Acrostic poems
    • The first word of each line in an acrostic poem spell a word.
    • Write an acrostic poem that spells your name, your school, your sports team, or any other word that you want. Then, write lines that describe that topic.
    • View examples of acrostic poems here.
    • Use this acrostic poem generator
      • "Print" the poem to your Google Drive, or copy and paste it to a new document in your Drive.

  • D: "Just Because"
    • Template:
      • Just Because... 
      • Just because I'm 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Doesn't mean
      • And doesn't mean 
      • Just because 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Just because 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Doesn't mean 
      • Just because 
      • (Question) 
      • (Question) 
      • (Question) 
      • (Statement)
    • Example:
      • Just because I'm half Japanese
        I'm not a California roll
        I'm not a Sony TV or radio
        I'm not a Toyota or a Nissan
        Just because I'm half Japanese
        I don't like being considered one race
        I do like being considered a Jew
        I'm not a "mixed up person"
        Just because I'm half Japanese
        I do like things that you do like to do
        I do like and play basketball
        Just because I'm half Japanese
        What is race?
        Is there a thing called race?
        Can't you just like me because I'm me?
        I think so.

  • E: Autobiography
    • Poetry deals with the emotions, just as music. An autobiographical poem is personal—it reveals something about the person writing the poem. It does not have to rhyme. Below is a simple plan to write your own autobiographical poem. Just follow the steps and—before you know it—it’s done. 
    • Remember to end the first and last lines with a period. End all other lines with a comma. All first letters of each line are capitalized. 
    • Template:
      • Line 1: Write your first name. 
      • Line 2: Write four (4) words about you, 
      • Line 3: Write Brother or Sister of and then list your brother or sister's name, (If you don't have brothers or sisters, write no one.) 
      • Line 4: Write Lover of and then three (3) things you love, 
      • Line 5: Write Who feels and then three (3) things and how you feel about them, 
      • Line 6: Write Who needs and then three (3) things you need, 
      • Line 7: Write Who gives and then three (3) things you give others, 
      • Line 8: Write Who fears and then three (3) things that scare you, 
      • Line 9: Write Who would like to see and three (3) things you want to see, 
      • Line 10: Write Resident of and then the city you live in, then your street name, 
      • Line 11: Write your last name. 
    • Example:
      • Art.
        Husband, teacher, poet, friend,
        Brother of Bob,
        Lover of knowledge, reading, and seventh graders,
        Who feels rushed, out of breath, and like he'll never catch up,
        Who needs a cure for allergies, beagles, and being married,
        Who gives help, encouragement, laughter,
        Who fears failure, success, mediocrity,
        Who would like to see successful students, better attitudes, and global sanity,
        Resident of Richmond
        Belliveau.

  • F: "Who Am I?"
    • Template:
      • The first line is “Who am I?”

        Then skip a line and write “I am...”
        On the next five lines write down family relationships (see example).

        Then skip a line and write “I am...”
        On the next four lines write down “job titles” that describe you (see example).

        Then skip a line and write “I am...”
        On the next three lines write a word that physically describes you.

        Then skip a line and write “I am...”
        On the next two lines write down a characteristic of yours (see example).

        Then skip a line and write “I am...”
        And finally the word “me.”
    • Example:
      • Who Am I?

        I am...
        Sarah's husband
        Barbara's son
        Margie's grandson
        Bob's brother
        Sean-Micheal's uncle

        I am...
        a teacher
        a reader
        a writer
        a net surfer

        I am...
        tall
        heavy
        hairy

        I am...
        humorous
        curious

        I am...
        me

        --Art Belliveau



6. Submit Your Favorite Poem: Consider all of the poems you've written in the past two weeks and select the one that you like the best. This is what you will show off at the Celebration of Learning tomorrow evening. Copy and paste the link into the form below:


Homework: Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"



No comments:

Post a Comment