IWBAT connect The Hunger Games to the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, in order to explain what inspired Suzanne Collins to write The Hunger Games.
1. Do Now: review context clues
2. Quiz 19: context clues
3. Homework Check: Leading the Way (TFK)
4. Read Chapter 4: pp. 48-60 (1:23:53-1:48:03)
5. Inspiration for The Hunger Games: Watch a video that illustrates various things that influenced Suzanne Collins in creating The Hunger Games:
- classical inspiration: Theseus and the Minotaur, Roman gladiators
- contemporary inspiration: reality TV, the war in Iraq (seeing violence on TV)
6. Myth: Theseus and the Minotaur: Now that you know more about what has inspired Suzanne Collins' stories, you will explore the Greek myth that she referenced: Click Here
8. Video: Theseus and the Minotaur: If we have extra time, we will watch a video representation of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur.
If you finish early:
- complete the challenge activities!
- watch a video series about Theseus and the Minotaur: Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3
- play a Theseus vs. the Minotaur game: Click Here
- view additional videos with Suzanne Collins: Click Here
- read a book
- work on TeenBiz3000
Homework: The Hunger Games Chapters 1-4 Analysis